McKinley Tariff: T
Archduke Franz Ferdinand:
1. Which nation’s independence did Emilio Aguinaldo fight for?
Emilio Aguinaldo fought for the independence of the Philippines.
2. Which country was forced to adopt the Platt Amendment?
3. This muckraker exposed the terrible conditions of the meat package industry in the early 1900s:
4. Why did Theodore Roosevelt resign his position as Assistant Secretary of the Navy during the Spanish American War?
Theodore Roosevelt resigned to go and fight in the Spanish American War.
5. What amendment gave women the right to vote? What year was it passed?
The nineteenth amendment gave women the right to vote. It was passed in 1919 and ratified in 1920.
6. What did members of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union fight for by entering saloons, singing, praying, and asking saloonkeepers to stop selling alcohol?
The Woman’s Christian Temperance Union fought for equal rights.
7. Where was the Spanish American War peace treaty signed?
The peace treaty was signed in Paris.
8. This amendment got rid of the old patronage way of state assemblies having the ability to appoint senators, now giving the ability to the people to directly elect their senators.
The seventeenth amendment gave the people the ability to elect their senators.
9. Thanks to Muckraker Upton Sinclair, this measure that required truth in labeling on numerous products was passed.
Pure Food and Drug Act and Meat Inspection Act.
10. What is the name of the policy of extending control over weaker nations?
11. How did the US government attempt to facilitate growth of domestic industries during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries? (Hint, think Hawaii, 1890)
12. What was the goal of prohibitionists?\
The goal of prohibitionists was to ban alcohol.
13. What was the purpose of The Open Door Policy for the United States?
14. How did the rapid growth of industry in the United States help to fuel imperialism?
15. What were the reasons that prompted the US to begin the policy of imperialism?
16. Describe the Platt Amendment.
17. Describe Woodrow Wilson’s foreign policy of Missionary Diplomacy.
18. What is/describe the “Gentlemen’s Agreement”?
19. How did Teddy Roosevelt’s foreign policy reflect the proverb “Speak softly and carry a big stick”?
20. What was Theodore Roosevelt’s position on trusts?
21. Militarism had been a major cause of World War I, what did the framers of the Treaty of Versailles do to try to prevent future wars from happening with Germany?
22. Why were some senators opposed to joining Wilson’s League of Nations?
23. Why were labor leaders targeted by the Espionage and Sedition Acts during World War I?
24. How did Roosevelt’s “big stick” policy build on the Monroe Doctrine (1824)?
25. What was it about the de Lome letter that drove the United States into the Spanish American War?
26. World War I might have involved Austria-Hungary and Serbia if not for this part of M.A.N.I.A
27. Why might some American supporters of entry into World War I claim their country was fighting for a moral war?
28. This event caused widespread starvation in Germany during World War I.
29. The United States entry into World War I signaled the end of this era.
30. How might the Treaty if Versailles be considered shortsighted?